Friday, March 19, 2010

Project #3

This is the beginning of project #3. I thought a new tv stand/entertainment center was in order. Our tv came with this crappy open shelf thingy... not great in a 100 yr + old house...dust is the enemy!

My stand/center is a combo of the PB entry bench and what I now know is the Thomis base. I used 1x16's instead of the 1x12's. I modified it from start to finish really. I added the doors, which wasn't too bad but the hardware was MURDER, I swear! They are a bit 2 small but for my first try, not too bad. Oh and on a side note, I did this project by myself AND I got to use my new nail gun too! :)

I added a 1x3 across the bottom because I was determined to get this one as square as I could! My plywood was droopy and it really bugged me! A call to my dad and wrestling with wood and it came out much better.



Decided how big I wanted my cubbies for storage. At this point I was really picky and checked for square about 20 times. I measured each individual "hole" to see if they were the same size all the way around. On one side I was 1/8" off and so on the "front" where the doors were going, I shimmed them.... I backed out the screw put a shim under the "top" and made them square.



Added trim, 3/4" x 1/4" and front trim... no side trim.....



Measured and made my doors, complete with 1 1/2" x 1/4" trim



Bath caulk on the door



After all that I primed with white kilz primer and 2 coats of black satin paint with a paint brush this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment